Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latex editor

Beans

Latex editor

Is Texlipse any good as a latex editor?

Im new to it and im trying to learn.. Looking for a good editor..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Latex editor

Do a search, this has been discussed many times. I myself don't have any experience w/ Texlipse. I use Geany w/ the Latex plugin, others use gedit w/ the Latex plugin.
    If you're fine w/ installing KDE software in Ubuntu, then Kile is a pretty darn powerful editor for Latex.
    This should be a sticky, or a bug 'cos it ain't a feature

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

GNU Emacs with AUCTeX is pretty nice. Lots of auto-complete features (like c-f c-e for \emph{}, for example), and of course a compilation function.

Edit: flyspell mode, word count function (http://www.sultanik.com/Word_count_in_Emacs), the possibilities are literally endless.
    Last edited by matthew.ball; August 24th, 2010 at 08:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Emacs is a good one to get used to, since it is so applicable elsewhere - not the easiest to start with though...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

It's not very difficult. Honestly, just go through the tutorial at the start and it basically gives you everything you'll need (just as it says, it's an interactive tutorial, reading through the tutorial and committing the key combinations to memory won't work).

You really only need to memorise one or two key combinations. You can access most functions from m-x, which also has an auto-complete feature (so you don't even need to remember the function names). It's actually really intuitive and natural after a while.

Beans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_TeX_editors

Maybe start with a WYSIWYM editor like LyX?

Beans

Every year there are something new in the technology, you can search in GOOGLE, ZINF, YAHOO sites for these question, my advicve for you is Emacs

Beans

Every year there are something new in the technology, you can search in GOOGLE, ZINF, YAHOO sites for these question, my advice for you is Emacs

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Using Lyx for quickly creating course notes for students and Texmaker for writing my PhD.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I started using TeXmaker when I wanted to learn LaTeX -- it's cross platform and quite nice because of it. I looked at lyx but I don't think it gives a good LaTeX experience, so I wouldn't recommend it.

I would recommend the not so short guide to latex, along with this wikibook on using LaTeX. Between all of those, you should pick it up very quickly.

Also, I would advise aiming to get off using a LaTeX editor and into using any old text editing system with a mark-up, and the command line as quickly as possible.
    'I know lifes a bummer baby, But thats got precious little to do with me' - Monster Magnet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast